The Ardbeg distillery history
1798 - Duncan MacDougall signs lease for Ardbeg Farm.
1815 - Commercial distilling started on site by John MacDougall (Duncans son) .
1838 - Thomas Buchanan Jnr takes over lease of farm , the distillery operations is run by Alexander
MacDougall (Johns son ) and is trading under the name of Alexander MacDougall & Co.
1850 - Colin Hay becomes manager of the distillery , then inherits it after the death of three of
the MacDougall family.
1886 - Alfred Barnard visits the Distillery , production was at 250,000 gallons (1.135 million litres )of
spirit a year.
1888 - New lease granted to Alexander Wilson Gray Buchanan and Colin Elliot Hay.
1900 - New Lease granted to Hay\'s sons .
1959 - Ardbeg Distillery Ltd Formed .
1973 - Ardbeg Distillery Trust formed by DCL and Hiram Walker .
1974 - The best ever spirit (so Far !) rolls out of the stills .
1977 - Hiram Walker take over control of the distillery . The maltings are closed down .
1982 - The decision is made to mothball the Distillery .
1989 - Allied Distillers (who bought out Hiram Walkers) re-open Ardbeg on a part time basis, with
Iain Henderson of Laphroaig becoming Caretaker Manager.
1997 - In February Glenmorangie buys Ardbeg and goes about rebuilding the place .
25th June 1997 - First spirit after re- building rolls off the stills .
1999 - New mashtun installed .
2001 - The 50yo Spirit Still replaced .
2003 - Production hits 6 days a week .
2004 - The MacDonalds put Glenmorangie up for sale , the LVMH Group are eventually named as the
2006 - In September Stuart Thomson leaves the job of Distillery Manager
2007 -June 25th The first Ardbeg whisky produced since the reopening reaches 10 years
old !!! Mickey Heads is appointed Distillery Manager